Tuesday, November 19, 2013

the next big project.

Throughout my time away from the blog, I have realized one major thing...among many small things, of course. Whenever someone asks me what I do, one of the first things they ask me next is how can I help? Well, here is a chance for you to make a difference this holiday season.

A big part of my job is working with the families who are staying at our family shelter, the Eleanor House. Our hope is that we are able to get them moved into a new apartment and stabilized on their own within thirty days or so. This means, about every thirty days we have a new group of families to work with. 

We also maintain the Rickman House, which is a building with forty-nine efficiency apartments for single adults. Most of our residents at the Rickman have a mental illness.

This year I hope you will help me spoil the families we assist and support every day. From now until our agency closes for Christmas, I will be collecting boys and girls toys, items for the Rickman residents, and items for clients that come into our office. 

If you would like to donate, please get your items to me by December 18th. If you wrap your presents, please designate somehow (color of ribbon, written on tag) if the toy or item is for a girl, boy, or Rickman resident. If you have an item that could be for either gender or that we could hand out in our office, that is fine too :) If you are not able to wrap them, no worries...just pass them on to me and I will perfect my present-wrapping skills this season.

Be creative with items! Handmade things like hats and gloves would be perfect if you don't want to spend money. The Eleanor House is also currently in need of diapers and African American hair products (shampoo/conditioner/barrettes etc.) as well. I will be posting a list of requested items for the Rickman residents later, so stick around! 

Be the change. Make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment